The Nádasdy Castle and Nádasdy Ferenc Museum located in the centre of Sárvár is one of the most preserved castles in Hungary.
The gate of the castle (presently in a Renaissance form) can be reached through a long bridge. Its size gives us an idea of how wide the moat – drained in the early 19th century – could be. The hallway below the gate-tower is decorated with late Gothic seat niches. At the ground floor of the oldest East wing still built by Nádasdy, a famously beautiful wedding hall was created.
The oldest walls of Nádasdy Castle are from the 13th century; constructions by the Kanizsai family and by the Nádasdys were done in the 14th century and between 1552 and 1615, respectively. The recent form of the pentagonal castle surrounding the inner courtyard and of the also pentagonal protective structure with corner towers, built around it evolved during this period. Nádasdy Tamás and his descendants not only fortified, but also embellished Sárvár in the 16–17th century: rooms satisfying even luxury demands were created in the castle, within the compact outer walls built first of all against artillery attacks.
Nádasdy Tamás also founded a school and a press in 1534 and 1537, respectively. At this press was printed the first Hungarian Grammar book in Latin by János Sylvester (in 1539) and the translation of the New Testament (1541), which was the first press product in Hungarian language in our country.
The magnificent saloon is the most beautiful part of the castle: battle pictures painted on its vaulted ceiling proclaim the bravery of the owner (Works by Hans Rudolf Müller of Vienna from1653, the first Hungarian historical painting series), while its side walls are decorated with biblical oil painting by Dorffmeister.
Owing to its continuous renovation, the castle’s condition has been improving day by day; nowadays it accommodates a museum with collections presenting the gentry family, Hungarian Hussars, Hungarian cartography, industrial relics and the history of the town.
At Dental Home we also organize your trips during your dental treatment course.